Sunset Valley Arts Commission
In 2006/07 by ordinance #061205 and #070717 the Sunset Valley City Council established a special commission of the City of Sunset Valley to be called the Sunset Valley Arts Commission.
Purpose. To serve in an advisory capacity to assist and make recommendations to Council and department heads to research, develop, implement, and evaluate policies, programs, and projects related to the Arts, and in particular encourage and promote tourism in the City.
Mission. The mission of the SVAC is to serve the city and its citizens as advisors and advocates for the enhancement and integration of the arts in the community. We believe that a creative cultural environment is essential to the City’s well-being.
· Raise public awareness of the need to integrate aesthetic aspects of design into the cityscape.
· Establish and maintain communication systems within the arts community so that activities can be identified and coordinated among public and private agencies, organizations, and individuals concerned with the arts.
· Develop a broad base of financial support for local arts and artists through public agencies and private donations and through the use of the local hotel occupancy tax revenues.
· Nurture and support artists, arts organizations and arts education
· Promote active participation and attendance of arts events by Sunset Valley residents.
· Build public-private partnerships to support a growing level of local cultural activity.
Commission members are appointed by City Council at the first regular meeting following the city elections or as soon thereafter as possible for a term of one year.
At least one Council member and three additional regular members, who shall be residents of the City, serve in the Arts Commission. Alternates may be appointed provided they are residents of the City. One honorary member may be appointed who has experience in a field relating to the arts who may or may not be a resident of the City.
The commission selects a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, and a Secretary and reports periodically at City Council meetings. Interested in membership? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to be a “Friend of the Arts” and help with special events? Contact John Frick, Chair at email@example.com. We need folks to help with set up, tear down, promotion and working at upcoming events. Be part of the fun!