Water Conservation Landscaping Rebate Program
Up to 60% of residential water use may be used outdoors. Turf grasses require a lot of water and generally need more than once a week watering to be healthy. This program has three components:
1) Converting turfed areas to native planting beds.
2) Converting turf to non-irrigated areas such as gravel or mulch.
3) Converting St. Augustine lawns to native turf.
Sunset Valley Rebate Program:
Lawn to Native Beds
$20.00 per 100 square feet up to $500.00 with a minimum 500 square feet
- Minimum of 8” soil depth.
- Automatic sprinkler systems must undergo irrigation evaluation.
- May only install native or adapted plants listed in the Plant Guide at www.growgreen.org.
- No more than 5% annuals.
- Top with 2” - 3” mulch.
Lawn to Non-Irrigated Areas
$30.00 per 100 square feet up to $600.00 with a minimum 500 square feet.
- Must be a permeable hardscape, rock garden, mulching or non-irrigated bed, minimum of 500 sqft.
- Hardscapes must be at least 6’ wide (sides of the house and sidewalk strip can be less).
- Cannot receive any irrigation (automatic or hose-end).
- No water features.
- Not to be used for decks, pools, swimming pools or driveways.
$10 per 100 square feet up to $500.00 with a minimum 500 square feet
- Turf replacement must be done with native grasses.
Residents can apply for combinations of the above rebates with a yearly cap of $600.00 per address. Funds are available on a first come first serve basis. Please call Public Works and Environmental Services at 891-9103 to check rebate program status before conducting any work. Native plants are also available for purchase at reduced rates through the City’s Adopt a Tree program.
- Applicant must be a resident of Sunset Valley.
- Visit www.waterrebates.com to complete the online application process. The application is at the bottom of the page.
- Attach itemized receipts and any other documentation needed. You can also attach photos of the receipts or documents.
- Submit the rebate application within 30 days of completing the work.
- Total rebate cannot be more than the cost of the project including anticipated rebates from the City of Austin.
- Purchases and applications must be made within the current fiscal year that runs October 1st through September 30th.
Please contact Public Works at (512)891-9103 if you have any questions.